Horse racing ranks among the most favoured sports for betting in the United Kingdom. If you’re seeking the top horse racing betting sites in the UK, you’ve come to the right place.
Our team of experts has analysed and compared the odds, markets, payment methods, and customer support of each horse racing betting site to present you with the most reliable and trustworthy options.
This page offers a comprehensive review of the top bookmakers in the UK, covering all essential features that are crucial to successful betting on the Sport of Kings. With all the relevant information at your fingertips, you can confidently place your bets and enjoy the thrill of horse racing.
Get £10 in Free Bets
New customers only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only (exclusions apply). Free bet will expire 7 days after the 1st deposit. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way. Full Terms apply.
Best Horse Racing Betting Sites – A Closer Look
Let’s take a closer look at some of the best horse racing betting sites available for UK punters.
Bet365 Horse Racing
As one of the most renowned names in the online betting industry, Bet365 stands out as a top pick for horse racing betting in the UK. With an intuitive user interface, a diverse range of betting options, and competitive odds, Bet365 provides a seamless and enjoyable betting experience.
Bet365’s horse racing section provides an extensive selection of markets, including UK and Irish races and international events. The site also offers live streaming of races, allowing punters to bet on the action as it happens. Bet365 also provides a comprehensive form guide and results section, providing users with all the information they need to make informed betting decisions.
William Hill Horse Racing
William Hill is another popular choice for horse racing betting in the UK. The site offers a variety of promotions and bonuses for new and existing customers, including best odds guaranteed and free bets.
The horse racing section on William Hill covers a wide variety of UK and Irish races, as well as international events. Punters can stay updated on the latest action and make informed bets with the site’s live streaming and commentary options. Additionally, William Hill’s mobile app is user-friendly and provides a seamless betting experience on the go.
Betfair Horse Racing
Betfair distinguishes itself from other betting sites with its unique betting exchange, allowing punters to bet against each other instead of the bookmaker. This feature can lead to better odds and higher payouts for successful bets.
Betfair’s horse racing section covers a wide range of races and promotions for new and existing customers, including best odds guaranteed and free bets. Punters can bet on the action as it unfolds with the site’s live streaming and in-play betting options. Additionally, Betfair provides a range of betting tools, such as form guides and statistical analysis, to help users make informed decisions.
Ladbrokes Horse Racing
Ladbrokes is a well-established name in the world of online betting, with a wide range of horse racing markets and competitive odds. The site covers a variety of races and events to bet on. One of the standout features of Ladbrokes’ horse racing betting is the ability to build your race card by selecting up to 10 races of the day that you want to focus on. This allows for a more personalized and targeted approach to betting on horse racing.
Coral Horse Racing
Coral is a well-known bookmaker that offers a wide range of sports betting markets, including horse racing. Coral horse racing offers a comprehensive selection of races and betting options, with competitive odds and enticing promotions.
Coral also offers live streaming of UK and Irish horse racing, which is available to customers who have placed a bet of at least £1 on the race. In addition, they provide customers with access to Racing Post data, including form guides, racecards and expert analysis, to help inform their betting decisions.
888sport Horse Racing
888sport is a reputable betting site that offers a variety of horse racing markets and daily promotions on horse racing, including money-back specials and extra places on selected races. Punters can easily access Forecast and Tricast selections, as well as competitive ante-post odds for major events such as the Cheltenham Festival and Grand National.
The horse racing Betfinder tool is particularly useful for punters, allowing them to set specific search parameters such as Winner Last Time, Course Winner, Distance Winner, Jockey In Form, and price range to identify the best possible options.
BoyleSports Horse Racing
BoyleSports provides an excellent horse racing section with well-organized cards, making it easy to view upcoming fixtures or featured races. The ‘Watch Live’ button is conveniently located on the main page for any race you have loaded, eliminating the need to search for a live link. Additionally, there are accessible links for Forecast and Tricast betting.
A gold star highlights any races with special promotions, and for UK & Irish Racing, punters can access insights and verdicts from the Racing Post. Audio commentary is also available for some races, adding to the overall experience.
Unibet Horse Racing
Unibet sports provides a separate section dedicated to horse racing that includes useful features such as Naps & Tips and Racing Guides. This offers bettors valuable information to browse through, making Unibet horse racing a great option overall.
The UK and Irish racecards feature insightful data from the reputable Racing Post, allowing customers to explore the complete form of a given horse and view their ratings. Additionally, Unibet provides live streaming of domestic races and some from further afield, including South Africa and Japan.
Betway Horse Racing
Betway is a popular betting site that offers a comprehensive horse racing section. With both domestic and international coverage, Betway provides punters with a wide range of betting options. Betway’s horse racing section includes a range of useful features, such as live streaming and racing form analysis.
The site also offers ante-post betting for major events like the Cheltenham Festival and the Grand National. Additionally, they offer a variety of betting markets beyond the traditional straight win bet, including each-way, place-only, and forecast/tricast bets.
Popular Horse Racing Events to Bet On
There are a wide variety of horse racing events held throughout the year in the UK, with a range of different races and distances. Here’s a breakdown of the most popular horse racing events to bet on:
The Grand National is the biggest and most prestigious horse racing event in the UK, held annually at Aintree Racecourse near Liverpool. It is a handicap race that covers a distance of 4 miles and 514 yards, with 30 jumps. The Grand National is known for its unpredictability and is often called the ultimate test of horse and rider. The race attracts millions of viewers and bettors, with many people placing their only bet of the year on the Grand National.
The Cheltenham Festival is a four-day event held in March at Cheltenham Racecourse. It is one of the most important events in the National Hunt calendar, featuring several championship races, including the Champion Hurdle, the Queen Mother Champion Chase, and the Cheltenham Gold Cup.
The festival is known for its lively atmosphere, with thousands of racegoers attending each day to watch the races and place their bets.
Royal Ascot is a five-day event held in June at Ascot Racecourse in Berkshire. The event is renowned for its rich history, dating back over 300 years, and its association with British royalty.
The event features some of the world’s best flat racing, including top-class races such as the Gold Cup, the Diamond Jubilee Stakes, and the Coronation Stakes. The Royal Ascot is known for its fashionable dress code, with attendees required to adhere to strict dress regulations.
The Royal Procession, a daily parade of horse-drawn carriages, featuring members of the Royal Family, is a highlight of the event.
The Epsom Derby, also known as the Investec Derby, is a flat race for three-year-old thoroughbred colts and fillies. It is held annually in June at Epsom Downs Racecourse in Surrey and is considered one of the most prestigious horse races in the world.
The race is run over a distance of 1 mile, 4 furlongs and 6 yards and features a steep uphill climb in the final section. The Epsom Derby is known for its glamour and is often attended by royalty and celebrities.
The Goodwood Festival, also known as Glorious Goodwood, is a five-day event held in July at Goodwood Racecourse in West Sussex. It features several Group 1 races, including the Sussex Stakes, the Nassau Stakes, and the Goodwood Cup.
The festival is known for its picturesque setting and relaxed atmosphere, with racegoers enjoying picnics on the lawns and taking in the beautiful views of the South Downs.
Each of these events offers a range of different races and betting options, making them popular choices for punters.
What to Look for in a Horse Racing Betting Site?
When choosing a horse racing betting site, there are several factors you should consider:
- Reputation and Trustworthiness: Look for a betting site with a good reputation and positive customer reviews. It is essential to guarantee the safety of both your personal information and funds.
- Range of Markets: Check if the betting site offers a variety of markets, including UK and international horse races, as well as other sports.
- Odds: To ensure that you get the most value for your money, it’s important to compare the odds offered by various betting sites.
- Bonuses and Promotions: Look for betting sites that offer generous welcome bonuses, promotions, and loyalty rewards.
- Mobile Betting: Check if the betting site has a mobile app or a mobile-optimized website, so you can easily place bets on the go.
- Payment Options: Make sure the betting site supports your preferred payment method, and check if there are any fees or withdrawal limits.
Horse Racing Betting Markets & Types Of Bets
There are a variety of different bets you can place on horse racing in the UK, here are some of the most popular betting markets:
- Race Winner: The most common bet in the UK horse racing scene is the “win” bet. This involves betting on a horse to win a specific race.
- Each-Way: This wager requires you to double your stake, with half of it placed on the horse to win and the other half staked on it finishing in a place.
- Winning Distance: Bet on the outcome of a race by predicting the winning distance. Bookies offer odds on how far a horse will win a specific race.
- Match Bet: A market that allows you to bet on one horse to finish ahead of another in a race.
There are a plethora of different bet types available in horse racing, but the most popular ones include:
- Ante-Post: Bookies offer odds on big races weeks or months in advance, providing an opportunity to secure early value.
- Single: A bet on just one horse.
- Double: A wager on two horses to win two separate races.
- Treble: A treble bet is a type of multiple bet that involves selecting three outright selections. To win a treble bet, all three selections must be successful.
- Accumulator: A wager with four or more selections is called an accumulator or multiple bet.
- Yankee: To place a Yankee bet, you need to choose four selections, which will generate a total of 11 bets. The bet will include six doubles, four trebles, and a four-fold accumulator. A minimum of two successful selections is required to win a return on your bet.
- Forecast: Predict which horses will finish first and second in a race. Double the stake for a reverse forecast.
- Tricast: A wager on the horses you think will finish first, second, and third in a race. If you opt for a combination tricast, you will make six bets that cover all potential outcomes for three selections.
Horse Racing Betting Features
Betting sites offer a range of features for punters to enhance their horse racing betting experience. Here are some of the most popular and worthwhile features:
- Live Streaming: Many betting sites provide live streaming of horse racing events, allowing punters to watch the races they have bet on in real-time. This feature is particularly useful for in-play betting, where odds can change quickly based on the race’s progress.
- Cash Out: Cash-out is a popular feature offered by many betting sites, allowing punters to lock in a profit or reduce their losses before the end of a race. Punters can cash out their bets if the odds have moved in their favour or cut their losses if their selection is not performing well.
- Best Odds Guaranteed: This feature ensures that punters receive the best possible odds on their horse racing bets. If the starting price of a horse is higher than the odds the punter took when placing the bet, they will receive the higher odds if the horse wins.
- In-Play Betting: In-play betting allows punters to place bets while a race is in progress. This feature can be particularly exciting, as odds change in real-time based on the race’s progress. Punters can use their knowledge of the race and the horses’ performance to make informed decisions and potentially increase their winnings.
- Virtual Racing: Virtual racing allows punters to bet on simulated horse races, providing entertainment and betting opportunities when there are no live events. Virtual races are created using computer-generated graphics, and the results are determined by algorithms. Punters can still use their knowledge and expertise to make informed bets on virtual races.
These features can make horse racing betting more enjoyable and potentially more profitable for punters. When choosing a betting site, it’s essential to check which features are offered and how they can be used to enhance your betting experience.
How to Bet on Horse Racing in the UK: Step-By-Step Guide
If you’re new to horse racing betting, here’s a step-by-step guide to placing your first bet:
- Choose a betting site: Research and compare different horse racing betting sites, you can check our recommended bookies above to find the bookmaker that suits your needs.
- Register and deposit: Create an account and make a deposit using a secure payment method.
- Choose a race: Browse the available races and choose one to bet on.
- Choose a horse: Look at the odds and form of each horse to make an informed decision.
- Place your bet: Choose the type of bet you want to place and enter your stake.
Horse Racing Betting Tips & Strategies
Betting on horse racing can be both exciting and profitable, but it also involves a degree of risk. Here are some tips and strategies for betting on horse racing.
- Do Your Research: Before placing any bets, do your research on the horses, jockeys, trainers, and track conditions. Look for patterns and trends, and use this information to inform your betting decisions.
- Consider the horse’s form: Look at the horse’s past performances and check their recent form. A horse that has been performing well in recent races may be a better bet than one that hasn’t.
- Shop Around for the Best Odds: Compare the odds offered by different bookmakers and betting sites to get the best value for your money.
- Consider the weight: The weight that a horse carries can also be a factor in their performance. A horse carrying a heavier weight may struggle to keep up with lighter horses, so it’s important to check the weights of the horses in the race.
- Use Different Betting Types: Mix and match different types of bets, such as win, place, and each-way, to increase your chances of winning.
How does each-way betting work in horse racing?
Each-way betting is essentially two bets: a win bet and a place bet. The place terms are determined by the number of runners and the type of race. In the UK, the standard place terms for horse racing are 1/5 of the odds for the first three places in a race with 8 or more runners, or 1/4 of the odds for the first two places in a race with 5-7 runners. If your horse wins, both the win and place bets are paid out. If your horse finishes in a place, only the place bet is paid out.
What does SP mean in horse racing betting?
SP stands for "Starting Price". This is the official price of a horse at the start of a race, as determined by the bookmakers. The SP is used to settle bets when a customer does not take a price on a horse.
What is a nap in horse racing betting?
A nap is a tipster's best bet of the day. It is typically a horse that the tipster believes has the best chance of winning.
What is rule 4 in horse racing betting?
Rule 4 is a deduction made on bets when a horse is withdrawn from a race. The amount of the deduction is determined by the odds of the withdrawn horse at the time of withdrawal, and the number of horses left in the race.
What is the best betting app for horse racing?
There are many great betting apps available for horse racing, each with its own unique features. Some of the top betting apps for horse racing in the UK include Bet365, Betway, Ladbrokes, Coral, and Betfair.
What does outright betting mean in horse racing?
Outright betting in horse racing is when you bet on a horse to win a particular race or tournament outright, rather than betting on individual races within the tournament.
How to understand betting odds on horse racing?
In horse racing, odds represent the probability of a horse winning a race. The lower the odds, the higher the probability. For example, a horse with odds of 2/1 is more likely to win than a horse with odds of 10/1. Betting odds also determine the payout on a winning bet, with higher odds resulting in a higher payout.
To understand betting odds, it's important to remember that the odds are always displayed as fractions, with the first number representing the potential winnings and the second number representing the stake. For example, a £10 bet on a horse with odds of 3/1 would result in a £30 payout if the horse wins.
We hope this guide has provided you with valuable insights into the world of horse racing betting. By considering the factors we’ve mentioned above, you can make informed decisions about where to place your bets. Remember to always gamble responsibly.
About the author:
With my journalism and editing background, I am able to research and provide readers with accurate and up-to-date information about online sports betting in the UK.